Hmm, nobody sharing their top riffs? Wellll, I had fun thinking through mine and even got stoked to find a new riff to learn...winning!
Of the udiscover list, I knew 12/15
Of the toptens list, I knew 9/10
...though if I can still play em correctly is another question!
10. ACDC - I can't pick just one. Different approach to riffing, more chordy but with that rhythm section - undeniably awesome. I could pick a bunch of tunes...Thunderstruck, Back in Black, Hells Bells, Highway to Hell.
9. Doors - Break on through. Nostalgic choice, first complete tune I could play recognizably - earnt me a upgrade to electric guitar!
8. Chic - Good times. it's rare to find a tune where you could play either the bass line or the guitar part and people recognize the song. And it's funky than my socks!
7. Joe Satriani - Satch boogie. I'm not sure there is a catchier riff for the rock/blues guitarist? Soo much fun to play.
6. Jimi Hendrix - 3rd Rock from the sun. Just love the voicings over the ringing open low E. Easy to play and a real ear catcher for the listener.
5. Megadeth - Hanger18. First time I heard this I almost quit guitar - so fast!
4. Black Sabbath - Iron Man. Needs no explanation. If you don't agree. You are wrong.
3. Cream - Sunshine of your love. EC at his best. How anyone could pick Layla over this I couldn't fathom.
2. Slayer - South of heaven. Nostalgic choice...This riff is the reason why I started playing guitar!
1. Metallica. For me, The Riffiest band ever. I could pick ten tunes from them alone...Battery, Master of Puppets, Seek n Destroy, Enter Sandman, For whom the bell tolls, Wherever I may roam, Sanatarium, One, Four Horsemen, Jump in the Fire.
This list definitely dates when I started learning guitar...hmmmm. The 80's wasn't entirely bad!
And of Kelly's top 10 list...I'm reallly into his No1. - so much so I'm learning it. Joe Walsh Funk #49 has got a bluesy groove that...scratches an strat-y itch!