Yesterday I hired a router from a local tool hire place, and this morning i spent some time reading up and watching YouTube tutorials. After getting an idea of how to work (feeding the woods in from the router’s Left at all times) and putting on my goggles and earplugs, I practiced on the scrap pieces first:
I went around the whole bass in a few passes, getting deeper each time, and ended up going out to buy a bigger roundover big- the ones I had were all too small and might look ok on a Tele but were not smooth enough for a Jazz bass.
After a few hours I had this:
-pretty happy with most of it, except a few spots on the horns where I didn’t keep the router level:
I used a belt sander, surform rasps and 80grit sandpaper to shape out the arm and tummy contours, and sanded out the gouges on the horn and generally blended the shape.
Tomorrow I’ll drill all the cavity links, drill the neckplate and position the bridge, before spending the next week or so working on the finish- sanding to 220 or 300 grit, then doing Danish Oil over the course of a couple of days before I can out everything together. I also need to cut control cavity covers and drill for the pot and jack positions