This guitar is my longest serving guitar, having been with me since shortly after I got out of the army in 1988. It's also my longest suffering
guitar, having been through 15 different pickups, three MIDI setups, too many rewires to count, three different bridges, three sets of tuners and two complete refrets. There's more, but it would be easier to say "some of the wood is original" than to list everything.
Recently I've been replacing as much plastic and metal as possible with rosewood parts. I've changed the knobs already from the domed (and chromed) barrel knobs I've had for a few years.
I got these Madagascar rosewood (the closest thing to Brazilian aside from... well... Brazilian 🙂 ) mounting rings recently, sprayed them with nitrocellulose lacquer and have been waiting impatiently since then to do the final sanding and polishing.
Here they are:
Eskom were most accommodating today, freeing up two hours of my time to do the final work and fit them (although the buggers could have waited till I got the strings on before turning the power back on).
Here they are fitted:
A large image here.
Next step, Replacing the two three way toggle switch caps with rosewood versions. After that, the only plastic on the whole guitar will be the pickup bobbins. Then the control cavity cover after that , which is already wood, but is the same flame maple I've inlayed down the middle on the front of the guitar. The rosewood will look nicer, as the contrast with the ash is much better than the maple with the transparent yellow finish.